Header
My ventilator. Read, comment and judge me not.
   

Thursday, December 22, 2005


My exams are still under-way but I'm almost done with the major ones. Its relieving, though not very satisfying because I did not do well at all. Anyway, I've already made plans for my post-exam time. Insha'Allah I want to read Quran thoroughly, with the tafseer. Because honestly speaking I don't know much about the Quran. I've read it in Arabic plenty of times but now its just a repetition of words that I don't understand. That means I've not been able to take guidance from it, which was the original purpose. I think I must really get into it and make an effort to absorb it, comprehend it and take it in completely. I need to have my first-hand reading as well before referring to people for knowledge. So Insha'Allah this is one of my first priorities. Next comes buying alot of folders. I don't need them, no and I'm pretty sure I won't use them either but I still want to have them. Israaf, isn't it? Total israaf.

I need to meet a few of my friends who'v come down to Pakistan. They are my online friends so that means I've never met them in person and this will be the first time. I hope everything goes well because I'm sort of a social outcast. OK, that would be a strong word, let's just say I'm not very talkative with people. I might even come across as being very reserved and zipped up intitially. Its just me, I don't open up so quickly. Proabably thats why people think that Niqabis are arrogant. I don't know their reasons but mine are not due to arrogance and pride.

News:
In this wretchedly cold month of December, I've heard of the deaths of two people that are not distantly related. One was of a friend's healthy grandmother and the other was of my father's cousin's 20-year old son; bright and young, ready to take on the world but shot down by a bunch of boys on motorcycles. Murderes. I can see no better word for them. He was standing outside his house in broad daylight when some thugs came up to him and asked for his mobile at gun-point. He handed it over and they shot him down. Just like that, with the click of a gun an old man's eldest son, his only support went down. My father's cousin was literally crying on the phone. Previously he had lost his wife to cancer and now this heart-breaking incident. Can anyone even imagine the state of his mind? What he must be going through? The agony and the pain and the loss of something that cannot be replaced, gone forever. Death is inevitable but in times like these it catches up with you so quickly and so abruptly, its scary. Especially in Karachi, its horrible.

I'm interested in Judaism. Very much interested. Not because I'm curious to experiment something other than Islam but because I think in some ways its very similar to Islam. I want to study those links and similarities that are found in all three major religions of the world; Christanity, Judaism and Islam. I've heard that if you read them in one go, they almost form a chain. Although, I'm not very sure about this considering the fact that both Torah and bible have been distorted. Anyway, its just a far-fetched dream. I don't even know any jews! I had one Jewish friend but she turned to Islam and reverted back in 2003. Plus I'm not even in touch with her. But I'm hoping that internet would be a great help on its own. Let's see...I wanted to study about sufism but now it all seems very ambiguous to me. Its a bit of a hidden religion. You have to have those layers of depth in you or endurance to truly understand it. It seems a bit impractical to me. I'm most certianly not willing to give up 'everything'. And even more importantly, why should I? Giving up everything would get me to God? I know its not as simple as I'm making it seem, but thats one of the important doctrines. Sufism is too cryptic and too vague for me. Anyway, I'll read on and let you know how my study of Judaism goes. Take care everyone.


posted by Niqabi at 5:47 AM

11 Comments:

Blogger Umar said...

^
How mature.

8:01 AM

  Anonymous Anonymous said...

its a very good thought indeed.bravo!
im frm khi n a regular reader of yr posts.i also started ths reading of quran wid tafseer sum 1 yr bak.Allah ka shukr since thn ive been readin it daily,very lil at times n successfully completed 16 paras uptil now.currently im in IBA.ths understandig of quran n dr.zakir's lectures helped me a lot to practise islam practically.ive also started islamic hijaab on my own,quite contrary to my previous fashion conscious self n a bunch of other islamic changes. by the grace of Allah ive been practising thm successfully.my family,frnds n cozs didn't encourage these things much.i faced a lot of criticisms initially but im very contended n feel stronger spiritually now.alhamdullilah. let me metion tht yr posts have been a big n i mean literally big help.
in ths regard i wanted to talk to u coz ive been confrontin a lot of islamic issues lately.i wud really want to talk to sum1 like u.plus do temme whch tafseer u r planin to read.if u dont mind u can add me up n we can talk(after yr exams that is:)).my yahoo id is munibazafar@yahoo.co.uk.u can add me up there or mail me n give sum contact id of yrs.i dont knw whether its appropriate to write my id down here but i guess therez no other way out.ill tell u msn id thereon,it wud b of great help to me if u talk coz even if u cudnt sort out those issues u can at least guide me .lookin fwd for yr response.takecarez .best of luck for yr exams:)

9:27 AM

  Blogger Steven said...

It's important to learn about the world around you. At some point I hope to become more knowledgeable about Islam.

Broadening your horizions does not equate to a dilution of your beliefs. If anything it can strengthen them.

1:31 PM

  Blogger Reza said...

Yes reading Quran without translation of meaning is kind of just cold comfort. You need to start reading it with translation and tafseer.

On the point of Niqabis being arrogant, I don't believe that. That is just a social thing that has crept in.

On the point of Judaism, I have many Jew friends as well as Christians and we all get along well together. I have learnt that there are a number of similarities between the religions and that is why Allah calls them Ahle-Kitab. Followers of the Book. Agreed that their Holy books have been changed and that is why God brought Islam onto the people of the world. It is a fun and informative learning about other religions and certainly most of the times as the commentor above me said: it will only strengthen your own beliefs. I know it did mine.

On the point of death of the 2 people, Innah lillah wa innah ilayhay rajeoun Niqabi. One of my uncles died recently and he was shot too. It felt horrible. I know death is like that but when our time comes, noone can stop it. We have to cry a little, be brave and move on thinking it is what Allah wanted and was fate.

2:30 PM

  Blogger mayya said...

Salaam
Wow you've sparked up some discussion :) Maria's comment is a post long heh

Sufism is not as simple as we think it is. Most people take Sufism to be love and attachment that should exist for Allah and for fellow humans. Dhikr is just one tiny element of it.
sometime back this course comparative religions was offered in LUMS, I couldn't take it as it was a higher level course but I just searched for the course outline I'll just send it to you :)

and Always share the knowledge :)

10:24 PM

  Blogger Niqabi said...

Suleman: Oh insha'Allah definately, I'd love to look up an explanation to your above questions. I've been thinking about quiet a few of them myself too.


Umar: lol..ermm I don't know how to answer that! But jazakallah for droppin by.

Anonymous: Oh masha'Allah I'm so happy to know abt the progress you've made as a practising Muslimah. Its always great to know about people who've changed their lives for the better. Its very motivating. I've added you up and Insha'Allah looking forward to talk to you soon. Nah, I think its okay to write your email addy here...no stalkers here, alhamdolilah (I'm hoping!) OK you asked me about the tafseer, well I've got this huge book called 'tafseer-e-Usmaani' I think. I'm not sure about the name but its written by Mufti Taqi Usmaani and I know that its authentic. Jazakallah for droppin by, May Allah keep you steadfast, Ameen.

Mariq Q: Wow! You're a good commentor! So has your sister got anything siginificant to say about Judaism, as in, in terms of Islam? I've heard about the Rothchilds but not in detail. They're definately very clever and intelligent people. It said about the jews that they are the best business men in the world. Its probably their quick thinking or something. I wouldn't take that as a negative aspect, just as long as their not using that against Islam. I've heard that they control the world economy, but this could be an exaggeration. You see, there's always so much stuff you hear about the jews, while most of it could be true, I believe that atleast 15% is made up. So I want to know for sure whats Jewish and whats just blown out of proportion. I'll ask my dad about the book you talk abt so fondly and insha'Allah check it out. But I've already got one at home 'Tafseer-e-Usmaani', have you heard abt that one? You're not doing A levels either? Well...if I were to speak my own mind, I'd say...no problem. Because A levels is not going to determine your intelligence or give you success. They do, however, open you up to alot of new things that you might not ever read on your own. Thats probably the only advantage. I mean I would have never bothered to study anything 'sociological' had I not taken that as a subject at school. But otherwise...its ok, you don't need to prove anything to anyone. Insha'Allah I hope you become ba'amal on deen 100% , Ameen.

Rinceoir:
I totally agree with you. :)

Reza: Exactly, thats what I think. I'm glad you don't find Niqabis arrogant, maybe the misconception is clearing out. Hopefully!
I started out with the same concept that if they're called Ahle-kitab then there must be quiet a many similarities too.

Mayya: I'm not very knowledgable about Sufism but a fello blogger (check Usman in my link list) is, or atleast knows their major principles. He's not a Sufi but I gathered that at one point is his life, he aspired to be one. LUMS sounds really interesting to me, with its diverse courses and all. Jazakallah for the email, insha'Allah I'm gonna look up into the books the course mentions.

4:49 AM

  Blogger Umar said...

niqabi - my first comment was directed at suleman.

I have Ma'ariful Quran by Mufti Muhammad Shafi. It was recommended to me by a scholar instead of Tafseer ibn Kathir, only for the reason that it is in a simpler language for common people to understand. Alhumdullilah, I've found it quite easy to read. Sadly though, the english translation (which I have) isn't complete yet, so I only have the first 7 (I think) volumes. If you have no problem reading urdu, you could always pick up the original text.

5:33 AM

  Blogger Unknown said...

Niqabi! I hope your denouncing Sufism has nothing to do with my posts on it. That was precisely the reason why I did not want to write on it...I know it sounds horribly difficult, but there's so much more to it...I suggest you read up a cupla books on Sufism. My suggestion would be: Tazkirat-e-Awliya, written by Fariddudin Attar in the 13th century. Selected translations are available everywhere...another is The Way of the Sufi by idris Shah...they should be helpful intros...

as far as Judaism is concerned, read up on it, but I would read up more of my own religion before delving into deep judaistic archives...

7:17 AM

  Blogger Niqabi said...

Maria Q: Wow...you're knowledgable masha'Allah. By the way...have you ever lived in England?

hahah@then the bomb might drp inshaAllah. The Insha'Allah bit at the end is hilarious!

Usman: LOL...it was precisely because of your post. It didn't put me off, no, it just kinda made me understand sufism. Insha'allah if I get the time, I'll look up into the books you've mentioned.

10:00 AM

  Blogger Niqabi said...

Maria Q: Your lingo made me say that. The use of the slang 'innit'. Its slang for isn't it and its not a chat slang. Its part of the street slang in britain..so I was jst wondering...

11:52 PM

  Blogger koonj said...

Salams dear. Try "Zia-ul-Quran" as a tafseer AND an intro to Sufism. Also, maybe pick up "Inner Aspects of Faith" by Shahidullah Faridi. moonovermedina.com sells them as well as other easy to follow books.

Oh, and for a nice intro to Judaism check out http://velveteenrabbi.blogs.com/blog/

9:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

   Profile
Name: Niqabi
Location: Lahore, Pakistan
Occupation: Housewife
Religion: Islam
Interests: World War II, Jews, Hebrew, ancient sites, Muslim rule in Spain, revolutions, Vatican city and Islamic literature.
Books: The black album, Portofino, Ladies coupe, In beautiful disguises, The buddhist of Suburbia, The hidden life of Otto Frank.
Contact: niqabified [at] gmail [dot] com
Quote: "We plan and Allah plans and Allah is the best of planners"


Previous Posts


Bloggers