Header
My ventilator. Read, comment and judge me not.
   

Wednesday, July 13, 2005


I've given a lot of thought and time to this decision so do not mock me. I've come to the conclusion that I should seriously consider changing my name. There are numerous reasons attached to this, firstly

-It's not a name. Its a word that caught my father's fancy. Its cruel to name your second daughter after a mere word!

-It's almost impossible to pronounce it correctly, as we're no Arabs. We do not pay attention to all the aieens and yaas, without which my name cannot be pronounced correctly.

-Its almost meaningless.

-In case of mispronunciation, which is the case 99.9 times, the meaning comes out to be pretty bad and i.e 'a very dirty thing'.

I have trillions of stories to tell, where people make fun of my name, lightly mistaking it with the Hindu name 'Raja' or getting stuck trying to pronounce the 'ea' bit at the end. Either they do it 'eeeeeeeya' or they simply leave it as Raja. I hate that.

By the way, I'm yet to discuss this with my father, he gets a bit emotional and takes everything personally when it comes to changing my name. I've changed my name once before, but I reverted to my birth name again.

But clearly I'm not happy with my present name. Any suggestions for the new one...? And this time I'll make sure I stick to it.


posted by Niqabi at 5:08 AM

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey i think Soha or Maha are nice names if youre really thinking of changing it -

5:36 AM

  Blogger Niqabi said...

Yeah both are lovely names but I can't have Maha because...its been taken. And about Soha, I'll ask my mum.

Jazakallah!

6:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

   Profile
Name: Niqabi
Location: Lahore, Pakistan
Occupation: Housewife
Religion: Islam
Interests: World War II, Jews, Hebrew, ancient sites, Muslim rule in Spain, revolutions, Vatican city and Islamic literature.
Books: The black album, Portofino, Ladies coupe, In beautiful disguises, The buddhist of Suburbia, The hidden life of Otto Frank.
Contact: niqabified [at] gmail [dot] com
Quote: "We plan and Allah plans and Allah is the best of planners"


Previous Posts


Bloggers