Header
My ventilator. Read, comment and judge me not.
   

Thursday, February 09, 2006


I was thinking about something today and the little extra blog surfing has managed to fuel me with motivativation just enough to make me write. I've always been more of a reader than a writer. And this thought helps me to justify my laziness. Anyway, a few days ago a very good of friend of mine invited me over a little dholki-cum-get together at her place. The first reaction that went inside my head was a curvy no. I generally avoid going to mehndis and dholkis because of the haram nature of such occasions. That is so because I believe music to be forbidden in Islam. You can fight and argue all you want but thats what I chose to believe. If you've had any experience of attending such parties, you would know that the chief ingredient is music and dance. So this cuts off the deal and makes that place out-of-bounds for me. I attended one such function some time ago and felt that I must be the most foolish person on earth. If I don't support it then what on earth was I doing sitting there with everyone else... looking on.

I'm completely against putting unnecessary restrictions on myself that are actually quite halal in Islam. But how can I justify my attending such a party? Most of the invitees are going but a few who aren't have got another similar function to attend. No one that I know has refused because of the above mentioned reason. I'm not trying to come out as the martyr by flaunting my story of sacrificing a potentially enjoyable evening. My point is that...Islam has become strange for people. If I tell people that I shall not be dancing along with them on their eve of happiness, they'd be slightly offended or worst still they would think of me as a Miss-Attitude.


I think alot about standing my own ground...actually all the time. I know its always a struggle and thats why something is more rewarding but sometimes it becomes a burden. I have to duck out my way every time such an invitation is extended. Its not that the temptation is weiging me down but...why is it even such a big problem?

I love her alot for the person she is and she has never done anything, not even once, not in any manner, to hurt or humiliate me and for that I'm really thankful but there are times when I want her to be more action-oriented.


posted by Niqabi at 1:29 PM

10 Comments:

Blogger Reza said...

Culture.. Its become such a big part of culture that people forget that its not allowed. Good thing you take the courage to say no when you do. Keep it up and stay true to yourself.

6:18 PM

  Blogger Niqabi said...

Dr Pak: lol I knew someone would come up with this. No but this particular person agrees with the view that its forbidden.

Rai: "its better not to do something about which u have a doubt becausein the end u have nothing to lose even if it wasnt haram and if it was then u just saved urself frm being Bar b Qd"

Exactly...that's my point. When I'm down in the pit, I wouldn't get the chance to come back and quite music, would I? Why not play it safe in Islam, especially when we're doing this all the time in matters of duniya.

lol and it wasn't a lecture, honestly :)

Illusion and Reza: Jazakallah for the encouragement:)

1:48 AM

  Blogger mayya said...

go late!
right before they serve food/dinner :D

12:24 PM

  Blogger Hasnain said...

That's very courageous, standing up for what you believe in :). As for why other people do it, I agree with Reza...culture and religion have become mixed.

12:16 PM

  Blogger Afshan said...

If you sincerely feel doubtful over going, or are going to go insane if you do wind up attending and feeling guilty - stay without! InshaAllah Khair.

Offending people because you have a different perspective on things is tough. I've been labeled as 'the snooty one' (or however you'd translate that in urdu) by even my closest relatives! I'm actually quite naive and think the best of people, and it's tough for them that I don't care enough into changing their minds about the kind of person I am. In the end, Allah is to judge.

I suggest you send a really, really, really nice present. Maybe hand deliver it the day of or the day before, stating you might not be able to attend but adore her to pieces (or something...equally cheesy haha)

I feel just as retarded attending a mendhi/dolkhi thing with a ton of bollywood music and booty shakin' (despite it being women only, I'd rather curl up with a book at home thank you). introverts zindabad?

9:57 PM

  Blogger Adnan Siddiqi said...

Actually music is not haram,in a sense that Daff is allowed to play,yes several musical instrumentals are not permissible due to reasons.

9:00 PM

  Anonymous Anonymous said...

So here's the deal, The Prophet (pbuh) shortened his trouser because people used to lengthen their trousers as a sign of vanity: to show their wealthiness. But the question is, what was the Prophet's (pbuh) actual message? If you said "not to show vanity", you're spot on. But many people keep their mind very limited and don't see it that way. You see, in this modern time and age, long trousers no longer means showing vanity. Shoing vanity is buying an expensive car when you damn well know you can get a simpler car with the same capacity alot cheaper, but you buy it because of show. So when the Prophet (pbuh) said "Whatever flows of trousers below the ankles will be in the hell fire." (Bukhari) he meant that all those who show vanity will be in hell fire.

Why do I tell you all this? Because when you say music is "Haram", do you actually understand why? Why did the Prophet (pbuh) allowed Duff? Are you asking all these hard questions which all the other muslims ignore?

My take on the issue is very similar to what rai says: It all depends upon the context; Are you listening to a music at disco? Discos are only there because of music, if there was no music, no disco, so I do agree that there is evil in music as well. But then when the old armies fight, they used Duff to pump up the soldiers, a technique used by muslims. So music is used for good as well.

So it becomes simpler: What context is the music you're refering to? Is it mehndi music? Is it songs that sisters sing to lighten their heart about their brother's/sisters's leaving? I think that would be a reasonable context.

So you can go, provided you tell your friend that a) Its not a mixed gathering, b) girls can dance between themselves so long awrah is not exposed c) you do not sing about gettin jiggy with boys or getting funky in the hot tub ;) you keep the context clean.

Now if you stand your ground, people will understand your motives, and will agree on your take on the issue. Just being firm on something you think is right is not generally a good thing. Find out more, dig deeper.

Wow, if you've read till here, you must have ALOT of time in your hands. Go away already!

4:12 PM

  Anonymous Anonymous said...

here: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503545778

4:15 PM

  Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im really jealous of the number of comments u have here niqabi! i kinda regret not having a public blog now. :@

8:17 AM

  Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think many people confuse culture with religion. music is haram but every1 listens to it regardless.
i need 2 talk to u btw, holler when u come online. luvya

8:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

   Profile
Name: Niqabi
Location: Lahore, Pakistan
Occupation: Housewife
Religion: Islam
Interests: World War II, Jews, Hebrew, ancient sites, Muslim rule in Spain, revolutions, Vatican city and Islamic literature.
Books: The black album, Portofino, Ladies coupe, In beautiful disguises, The buddhist of Suburbia, The hidden life of Otto Frank.
Contact: niqabified [at] gmail [dot] com
Quote: "We plan and Allah plans and Allah is the best of planners"


Previous Posts


Bloggers